It is possible to create groups using the label tool in your Google contacts list. It will be a great help if you often share folders or documents with the same group of people, e.g. your team.
This guide is only valid if you are signed in to Google. You can do this with your UCL email.
Open Google Chrome.
In the upper right corner, click on Google Apps (the 9 dots) and select Contacts. Alternatively, go directly to contacts.google.com.
On the front page you can see your contacts. You may not have any, as we at UCL use an index.
To create your group, you must first create a label.
- In the menu on the left, click Labels
- Click Create Label
- Write the name you want to give your group. It is important that you remember the following, as this is the name you should look for when you want to share something with the group.
- Click Save
Now you need to add people to your group.
- In the menu on the left, click Directory.
- Use the search box at the top of the screen to find the people one at a time
- Click on the 3 dots in the right corner to open the dropdown menu
- Select the label / group you want to add the person to
The person is now automatically added both as a contact and to your group. Repeat the process until you have the desired members of the group..
When you need to share a document or folder with your group in the future, you can easily do so by searching for the group. Then Google automatically adds all the members to the sharing list.
Read more about sharing settings and rights management here